Sunday, January 12, 2014

Are You Empty...Or Full?


I recently watched a Louie Giglio video, and in it, he was discussing the fact that 'life' in general can pull each of us down throughout the day. And it is so true. There are millions of things that put weight on our shoulders on any given day.

For me, I find that I am constantly out of something. Especially with the hustle and bustle that we just came out of called Christmas. I sometimes feel empty, finished, done. I have composed a list of things that I never have enough of...I am sure that you will have at least a few in common with me.

1. Is there ever enough time? I mean, really. I could work nonstop for 24 hours and still not be done with everything that needs to be done in my little world. Why is it that at the end of the day, I look at the clock and realize that time is up? There are no more hours... game over. And there are still dishes in the sink, clothes in the wash, and toys to be picked up.

2. Money-need I say more? It always seems to be spread so thin. Every time that I turn around, someone needs $10 for this, or $5 for that. I just don't know how much money would be 'enough'...I have learned to roll coins like.a.pro.

3. Patience. Am I talking to anyone else here??? I usually start the day off pretty good, but by the end, patience runs thinner than the latest winner of 'America's Next Top Model'. After arguments over whose turn it is for the iPad, wanting cookies instead of apples, Sprite instead of water, and wearing a summer dress when it is 10 degrees outside, I am literally cooked. I have heard the story of a lady that was running for the position of a judge, and she had been a stay at home mom to many children for years. The press kept asking her how she could possibly be qualified for the position of judge. Her response was that she settled arguments all.day.long.for.years. Word.

4. Gas. Really. How can it burn so quickly? I go from one end of town to the other, and my nice little 'reminder' dings...50 miles to empty. Again. Time to put ten more dollars in...

5. Diapers and wipes. They walk out the door. Literally.  I would never have guessed that we would spend so much money on something to clean and contain poo...but we do. I applaud the moms that do the cloth diaper deal. And I realize that in some regions, there are actually cloth diaper services that pick up, wash, and replace these diapers. But in one of these regions, we do not live. So please forgive me for contributing to the landfills, but remember my first issue...time? Yeah...I do not have time to clean cloth diapers. So money I do spend on disposable wipes and diapers...and lots of it.

6. Milk and cheese. We should seriously consider investing in a Jersey named Daisy. Really. Enough said...

7. Coffee creamer/wine. These two friends of mine get me through the morning and the night. I double fist coffee in the mornings. Although, to call it coffee may be going a bit far-it truly is creamer with a bit of coffee added. But it gives me the energy to keep up with three toddlers. The glass of wine at night gets me through the 'witching hour' at my house. This is the time when all 3 kids melt down simultaneously because of mere exhaustion. It starts around 5pm, and can be pretty intense until their little noggins hit the hay. It is 3 against 1...and I never win.

8. Cell phone/iPad charge. Really? Our technology is so stinkin' advanced, and we can't come up with a self charging device??? I NEED my phone and the iPads to STAY CHARGED! Someone please get on this! Mothers around the world will forever sing your praises!!!

9. Dinner ideas. It's crazy. Dinner has to be cooked EVERY NIGHT! Who decided that? It is so hard to come up with new ideas. And then...someone decided that we needed this little food pyramid, and that the meals also need to be balanced...what??? I'm only human.

10. Energy. How do kids have so much? I could never match theirs...ever. When I finally take a second to sit down and breathe, it is inevitable that someone will need something right then. A diaper change, some water, a snack...you name it. There is no rest for the weary. Must.invest.in.redbull.

Anybody's shoulders feeling heavy yet????? The feeling of emptiness is overwhelming. You give and give, and almost never get replenished. Am I right?

11. Clean clothes. I cannot stress this enough. How do you keep up with laundry for five? If you know, please share! It is a rare thing to have a clean laundry room. I could honestly employ someone full time to do nothing but laundry. R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S.

12. Style. I am totally out of it. There is no way to keep up with trends when you are taking care of three small children. a.it's too expensive, and b. new clothes will just get ruined anyway. Refer to my previous post here.

13. Sorts. I am totally out of sorts most of the time. I don't know which way is up. Shuttling kids to and fro...I forget what I'm doing half of the time. Just a few weeks ago, I got the mail and I said to Nick, 'Oh no! We got one of our Christmas cards returned!'. Which could have been true-- had we sent them already--but we hadn't. I'm not kidding. He told me to go to bed. I'll get right on that...

14. Touch. Out of touch. It is so easy to find yourself out of touch with reality. The things that are real and actually important. When the trials of the day find you in this place...think of my cure for the droopy shoulders...ahem...my revelation.

I reach out my hand...and a chubby little chocolate smudged palm grabs mine. That little hand squeezes and he moves forward with complete confidence that whatever I am doing, and wherever I am going, he's coming along-and he's going to be okay. He has no idea where mommy is leading...but there is no hesitation in his following. And this makes my heart smile.

Hence-- the revelation.

Isn't that all that God wants from us?

He simply wants us to take His hand with the confidence and innocence of a child. His child.

He wants us to trust that wherever He takes us, He's going to be there to protect us.

He wants us to grab His hand and walk off into the next adventure, arms swinging.

And He loves that feeling of confidence that we have in Him--just the same as I love the confidence that Linebacker places in me with that chubby little hand.

Is that too much for God to ask of us? Don't think so.

So when our world starts spinning out if control, all that we need to do is grab tightly to His hand...and tell Him that we will go wherever He leads us.

It's just that simple.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."--Matthew 11:28-30

*Note: 'A yoke is a heavy wooden harness that fits over the shoulders of an ox or oxen. It is attached to a piece of equipment the oxen are to pull. A person may be carrying heavy burdens. Jesus frees people from these burdens. The rest that Jesus promises is love, healing, and peace with God, not the end of all labor. A relationship with God changes meaningless, wearisome toil into spiritual productivity and purpose.'

1 comment: