Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chasing My Children...

My hair is not the latest hairstyle-- or color.  In fact, right now it is a few colors, and it is usually in a ponytail... sometimes clean. I have what my sister lovingly calls, "chick hairs" sticking out. This is all of the new growth around your face that emerges post pregnancy.

My clothes aren't the greatest trends.  They fit-- for the most part and they are washed. My make up is a smorgasbord of free samples, and impulse buys... but it isn't a daily necessity.

My fingernails are au naturale. Polish doesn't last long through dirty diapers and millions of hand washes a day. My toenails have remnants of polish left from the Christmas holidays.

I rarely wear jewelry because it is a magnet for my kids.  Earrings and necklaces simply do not survive their curious hands. 

All of my shoes are now flats, because it's hard to walk in any amount of heel with children on your hip.

These are all things that have progressively changed with the addition of my children. 

I used to not leave the house without every hair in place. I would get up in the morning and wash, dry, and style my hair.  Now I get a shower at 10 or 11 at night after everyone else is bathed and in bed. I usually go to sleep with it wet. It's not worth it to wake up anyone with the hairdryer. 

I used to pick out the "perfect outfit" the night before. Now I get up and throw on whatever is clean. It can't have too many frills or buttons because the kids see those as toys. It usually consists of jeans and simple tops-- complete with tennis shoes or boots. Anything that is easy for me to put on and hard for the kids to pull off.

I used to go get a "make-up consultation" and buy the whole package! I would get the foundation and concealer that worked together, and the perfect eye shadow and mascara. It would usually take three or four steps of color to get the eye make-up just right. I now typically put on some foundation and maybe some shimmer cream on my eyes.  This is only if I can get it done before Sister walks in and wants her eyes done. 

I used to keep my toenails painted all of the time, with matching polish on my nails. I don't even try that anymore. One dirty diaper and those nails would be goners. My toenails are painted on occasion--by my daughter. I barely have time to keep them trimmed-- much less painted.

I used to love accessories. Matching necklaces, earrings, and bracelets for my outfits.  Simplicity is the name of the game now.  I almost never wear earrings, because it only takes one quick swoop from Linebacker, and my earlobe is then plural.  I have two necklaces that I wear.  They are not long, and they both represent my children.  Bracelets-- forget it!

Not that heels would go with my outfits-- but even if they did, it's not worth a broken ankle. It didn't take me long to realize that it's impossible to carry two toddlers and pull the other by the hand without flat shoes and really good balance.

Besides, who has time to worry about looking taller to look skinnier anyway?  The hair and no make-up will distract from that.

The point in all of that is this--my children are number one now. 

It's my choice. I don't know if I would call it a sacrifice, as I WANT to do for them. I would rather spend the time fixing Sister's hair in the perfect braids.  Or helping her pick out the most beautiful dress-- or painting her toenails. Or buying the best hair product for Little Man. Or buying the most accommodating extra wide shoes for Linebacker to perfect walking in.

My focus has changed.  It's now on them. I don't think that their memories will be of how great mommy's hair always looked. Or how pretty her make-up was. Or how amazing her wardrobe was. Or how pretty her nails always were. Or how high her heels were. 

And that's not what I want them to remember.

As I was leaving Target the other day, I saw a mom and her "tween" daughter leaving together--and it hit me.  It will be such a short time before that is me and Sister. 

Another mom of three one time told me, "The days are long, but the years are short."  That couldn't be more true.  There will be plenty of time down the road for me to do things for ME.  Right now, I am just plain happy doing everything that I can for my babies.

I am not saying that every once in a while, a little envy doesn't creep in. Look at how great her hair always looks. Look at how perfect her make up is. Look at those amazing accessories. How tall and thin she looks with those elegant high heels.

I am human. Sometimes that happens. But then I look at my kids and know that they are so much more important.  There will always be a new trend in hair, clothing, accessories...

But I would rather spend time chasing my children than trends.



"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be that of our inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."--1 Peter 3:3-4


*Disclaimer- I do not hate on anyone who does the above mentioned practices!!!  We ALL love to feel beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment