Monday, February 4, 2013

Perspective-- Don't Lose It

Tragedies... they look us in the face daily. I don't know if it seems worse because of the availability of news through the social media, or if they are really striking more people. Maybe it's  a combination of both.  Regardless, it seems that I see horrible stories daily.

I guess this is weighing heavy on my heart as I heard that a sweet friend who is dealing with cancer has had a set back. It certainly makes you contemplate why bad things happen to people.  I know in my head that it is because there is evil in the world, and that God will always bring good out of "bad." But I still sometimes feel a heavy heart. 

I also know that loss is an unfortunate part of life. I am not sure that we would feel love so strongly if we never knew loss. If everything were permanent, we would certainly take it for granted, and it would not be so precious. 

I lost my Pawpaw about six years ago. My granny died three months later-- she couldn't live without him.  It was really hard for me. We were very close to them, and I couldn't imagine my life without them.  It hurt physically-- real physical pain.

I still think about how much they would love my babies and I wish they were here to enjoy them.  But I know that I will see them again. 

It is really easy to get drawn into all of the tragedy around us.  And it is really hard to just sit down and enjoy what we have in this fast paced craziness.  But sometimes I do just that. I sit down with my children and look around, and thank God for my life.  These moments just happen on random occasions and I realize that I have everything that I need right here.

I consciously try to enjoy the moment that I am in. Because at this time tomorrow, things could be different.

Perspective.

It is so easy to lose it.  But when you see what some people are going through, your blessings become clear. 

I don't know if most people would categorize infertility as a tragedy.  But it sure did feel like it when I was going through it.  And it hurt-- real physical pain. But the pain lost its sting as I healed.  And God absolutely brought "great" out of bad. 

Nick and I sometimes reflect on what we would do without our three little blessings.  What if we hadn't pursued adoption?  What if we had missed out on two of the greatest blessings of our lives?  It would be heartbreaking. 

If you are going through a tragedy, know that God will bring good out of it. It may be real physical pain now, but it will begin to subside and give way to greatness. And if you are sailing smoothly through life at this moment--soak it in!

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."--Romans 8:28



1 comment: