Friday, March 8, 2013

No Good Deed...

I had to run some quick errands this morning, and I wanted to get them done and get back home as soon as possible. It would be great if I could even sneak a nap in, but back home and in pj's would suffice. I got everyone dressed, buckled into their 5 point harnesses, and I was on my way. I ran errand number one, and was heading to number two when Sister asked for a doughnut. I thought, "Yeah, that's a good idea!" No arm twisting there. So I ran through Krispy Kreme and got a dozen. Yes-a dozen. It's a better deal--so sue me!

I paid for the aromatic box and handed each little chubby hand a chocolate iced sprinkle covered doughnut. I cannot remember the last time that my car was that quiet. On to errand number two.

I completed that mission somewhat painlessly and we were home bound. But as I got close to my house, I saw a sign to a park that I had wondered about the past few times that I had passed it. So I figured that since I had a minute, I would check it out.

I followed the sign and pulled into a nice little park area. There were a few picnic tables, a large open field, and a compact little playground area. A nice walking trail wound around following the curve of a little creek. I was so glad to have found this hidden piece of nature!

By the way: I usually cannot go to parks alone with the kids because they all run in different directions and I usually lose one or two in one of the millions of nooks and crannies provided by the playground equipment. But this park was perfect for us! It was so small that I could catch one child at the bottom of the slide and have time to help another one across the monkey bars before number three came flying down the slide. Plus, there were no big school kids to further confuse the search for the ones that belong to me.

I decided to put it on my list of things to remember.

But Sister was not having that. "Mommy, can we play at the park?"

I thought about it...it was a pretty day, and we had time...and it would wear them out.

"Okay, but just for a little bit," I conceded.

So I unbuckled three 5-point harnesses, after I replaced two pairs of shoes and socks. (Not to digress, but why must toddlers take off their shoes and socks every time that you get in the car?!?!)

I unloaded the troops and we tromped off to the playground area. The kids climbed and slid and bounced and played. It was pleasant. Everyone was happy and I was even enjoying myself. Then I thought, this is too good to be true-something is surely going to happen to ruin it. But I pushed that negativity out of my head and moved on.

We ran in the open field, climbed on the large rock benches, and stood by the creek looking at all of the wonders that it contained. Then I announced that we could each do one more thing on the playground, and it would be time to go.Everyone ran back to the compact chunk of entertainment and climbed, slid, and bounced some more.

At this point, there was a babysitter and her charge, and an older gentleman with his dog in the area. I told the kids that it was time to go. No one listened. I grabbed Little Man and Linebacker and headed to the car, telling Sister that we were leaving. She usually comes running, but no such luck today.

I got the boys strapped in their harnesses and went back for Sister-- a little frustrated. I went to get her and she did the "drop to the ground and all of a sudden can't walk" thing. I picked her up and threatened to spank. No dice. I spanked her once and told her that it was time to go. She resisted. I finally got her in the car and she did the "My body is straight as a board and I can no longer sit" thing. My frustrations were growing... rapidly. I finally got her buckled in and she screamed bloody murder all the way home, "I don't want to leave the paarrrkkkkk!"

"When we get home, you are going to your room and you are taking a nap because you did not do what mommy said,"I announced.

I did get her home and in the bed, and then I thought,"No good deed goes unpunished." I had gotten them doughnuts and taken an impromptu trip to the park...and it wasn't good enough. She wanted more.

As I pondered this, I realized that her little three-year-old self could be me. We do that to God, or at least I know that I do.

"Thank you for all of my blessings God, but could you please just do this one more thing?"

And if He doesn't, the fit comes.

I am sure that He is thinking,"I gave you a great husband with a job, three kids, a nice house, wonderful family and friends... and you want more???"

But that is unfortunately our nature-- to want more.

I am going to try to be content where I am, because God has absolutely overly blessed me!

I am going to try to remember Sister's fit at the playground the next time that I am wanting more from God. I will consciously unclench my fists and be glad for everything that He has already given to me.

"Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done."
1 Chronicles 16:8

No comments:

Post a Comment