Friday, March 1, 2013

No Greater Love

I remember exactly what it was like...waiting for them.

One of my friends just picked up her new baby boy from the hospital today. Amazing.

I have been texting with her periodically since she told me that she was meeting with a possible birthmother, and to please pray for her. I have gone through the journey with her, relating almost every step of the way.

I have been there before.

My friends birthmother went into labor on Wednesday.

I checked with her to see how it was going, and her birthmother was dilated 8 cm. I sent question marks a few hours later, and I received a picture of a brand new baby...just born.

 My breath caught in my throat and my eyes misted over. I remember.

The picture of that little blessing flooded me with memories of my two precious ones. I remember exactly what it was like to see them for the first time. I felt so much love and humility. And so much hurt for the precious women who had worked so hard to get them there. And so much thanks and praise for Him. And so much nervousness and anxiety that she might change her mind.

I had known my children for mere minutes, and I loved them. The thought of them leaving was unbearable.

It is an experience that you can only relate to if you, yourself, have been through it. It is such a confusing contrast of emotions. Love, joy, sadness, worry...

Imagine trusting a complete stranger to follow through with one of the hardest things that a woman can ever do. A woman that you probably never even knew a few months ago will change your life forever--and you have to trust that it will be for the better.

On the other side of the story, she is trusting you, a stranger that she didn't know a few months ago, to love and nurture a part of her. A child that was snuggled up to her heart for nine months is going to leave her forever. Can you imagine?

Adoption is such an amazing process. Two women are tied together with a common thread--a child that is infinitely loved before a first breath is even taken. One woman sacrifices everything because of this love. The other understands that sacrifice completely, as she has waited years for this moment.

It is really beyond explanation through words. I think quite often about my childrens' birthmothers', and how grateful I am for them. They gave away everything so that these children will be held back by nothing.

It is truly the ultimate sacrifice. There is no greater love than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment