Thursday, January 24, 2013

Don't Let the Big Bad Wolf Get You Down

We were running errands a few days ago when we passed an area of land that was being excavated. We pass this area daily and comment on the tractors, dump trucks, etc. (My husband would look at me with disdain regarding my generic term of tractor for all of the equipment, but I digress.)

On this particular day, my three-year-old daughter asked, "Mommy, what are they building?"

"I'm not sure... maybe a house?" I offered.

"For somebody that does not have one?" She questioned.

"I'm not sure," I responded. "It may be for someone that needs to move into a new house."

She shot back, "Because the big bad wolf blew their house down so they are building this one with bricks?"

Um...maybe.

I couldn't help but laugh--she never ceases to amaze me with the things that she says!

As I thought about her observation,  Luke 6:46-49 came to mind. This parable is so similar to the story of the three little pigs.

'So why do you call me 'Lord,' when you won't obey me? I will show you what it's like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then obeys me. It is like a person who builds a house on a strong foundation laid upon the underlying rock. When the floodwater's rise and break against the house, it stands firm because it is well built. But anyone who listens and doesn't obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will crumble into a heap of ruins.'

This reminds me that just because we believe in God, it does not mean that we won't have floods and strong winds. We will have trials come our way. The key is to have that foundation of a relationship with God so that he can bring you through it. If we listen to Him, He will show us the way--not in our time, but His.  And I know that His plan is certainly better than mine!

Isn't it incredible how children can speak to us? How they can be so simply profound?

No comments:

Post a Comment